Monday, January 28, 2008

French Me A Fry

I was walking the dog the other morning and listening to Diana Krall singing "Peel Me A Grape". It had been a long time since I had heard the song and I suddenly remembered how spectacularly good the lyrics were. If you are not familiar with the song, here is a snippet :

Pop me a cork, french me a fry
Crack me a nut, bring a bowl full of bon-bons
Chill me some wine, keep standing by
Just entertain me, champagne me
Show me you love me, kid glove me
Best way to cheer me, cashmere me
I'm getting hungry, peel me grape.

I had a feeling that I knew who had written the song just by the feel of the lyrics : the sheer joy of the word-play and the slightly odd-ball direction the song comes from, but as soon as I got home I double-checked. And yes, it is the work of the truly great Dave Frishberg. Frishberg also wrote another of my favourite songs - "My Attorney Bernie" (Blosson Dearie does a splendid version of it) and he also penned the equally brilliant "Quality Time". If you have never discovered his work, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...