Monday, January 11, 2010

Five Things I Have Discovered During The Ice Age



1. Weather forecasting is an imperfect art. I should have been suspicious when the forecasters suddenly downgraded their severe weather warning last night and suggested that the threatened heavy snow might not materialise. If anything is guaranteed to bring thick snow, that is. And it did. Four or five inches fell overnight and once again I had to dig the car out this morning.
2. Snow shoveling can be a therapeutic activity. I seem to have spent days shoveling snow over the last three weeks, but actually it is quite therapeutic. I get a degree of satisfaction from stacking the snow up in piles, like frozen castles in some ice-carved chess set. I even get pleasure from the physical effort, and the knowledge that it might work off a few of those extra pounds I seem to have put on over Christmas.

3. Animals are wonderfully inventive. I watched the sheep in the snow-covered field down the road as they cleared the snow away with their hooves so that they could reach the grass. How clever : these poor sheep have probably never seen snow before but they had worked out a way of coping with it. It puts us pathetic, wittering humans to shame.
4. There is nothing like a bit of cold to make you want a bit of heat. I now start each day by logging on to the weather forecasts for Acapulco. When we arrive there next week it should be in the low 30's centigrade. However, I suspect that after a couple of weeks of tropical sun I will be longing for the cold chill of winter again. There is probably nothing like a bit of heat to make you want a bit of cold.

5. Animals do not always appreciate the irony of song lyrics. As Amy and I walked out this fine winter morning I serenaded her by singing "My Favourite Things" When I got to the bit about one of my favourite things being "snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes", Amy gave me a look which said "you ought to give it a try pal".

The forecasters have now said we can expect more snow tomorrow so there is a good chance that the thaw is about to begin.

25 comments:

  1. I have noticed that our weather people are even trying to protect us. They knew the Christmas storm was coming but they really didn't want to tell us it was going to hit early Christmas eve. Once it hit they took on the attitude where did that come from even though we read between their lines a couple of days before then. You have had your share. Hang in there, Spring will be really appreciated this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Amy looks so cute with all the snow on her. I presume it doesn't gather on your moustache in quite the same way, unless you happen to bury your face in a snowdrift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My keyboard is playing up and moving at a snail's pace, so I messed up the last comment. I'll try again.

    As ever, Alan, you manage to post with the most profundity! This really ought to be published in a local or even national newspaper so others can enjoy it over their morning tea and toast.
    "Wittering humans" indeed. Sadly, they (we) are ubiquitous, aren't we?

    Has a weather person ever managed a correct forecast, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Alan, I like your list, as well. Great take on a snowy theme. That Amy is adorable with the snow on her nose and eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think I agree with everything except point 2. Shovelling snow has very little going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow looks so pretty in photos. I'm applauding my move to warmer climes even as I admire your photos. I hate to shovel snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all good discoveries. I just don't think dogs have an ironic sense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the sun! Amy is so lovely. I had to stay home from work for three days because we couldn't get down the hill. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Made me laugh. You're absolutely right - everyone at work is now saying, 'right, come on, that's enough snow now, let's get back to normal'. Unfortunately, no one seems to be listening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right about weather forecasters. Ours don't seem to know which way is up but if they're even close . . .39 today. For once I'll be glad to be in the aircon at work. As for that scruffy pup, she looks perfectly happy with her snow beard and winter coat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Alan. I can relate to the first 'discovery' very easily indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sheep in their big woolly coats are probably toasty!

    I like your attitude about the shoveling...there is something satisfying about it!

    Your body is going to have a shock arriving in the tropical climates next week! Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Given how much you've been enjoying shovelling I was wondering if you'd fancy clearing the snow from the front of my garage for me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:56 PM

    #1~ is mainly like gamibling, as it's not a sure thing either.

    #2~ mind you don't pull your back( as I've done many a time )

    #3~ a survival tactic. Then again, animals don't have to worry 'bout keeping a roof over one's head, wot?

    #4~ I like this one, I do; except cool it down to round 15-20C, heh.

    #5~ I'm sure if Amy could launch a snow-ball at you, she would! It hasn't been that cold over there since '81 or so...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:02 AM

    I like that, "The Ice Age"... :)
    So, Alan, do you sing in a singing group in your area? Great pictures. The Bach

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kat : If you know any newspaper editors tell them to drop me a line - I'm available and I'm cheap.
    Mo : Thanks but no thanks
    Bach : Sadly even Amy thinks I'm tone deaf. As anyone who has had the misfortune of hearing me sing will tell you, no choir would let me through the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:46 AM

    Great pictures and Amy is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alan...just seeing Amy with her snow frosted whiskers made my evening. She is precious. I should like to give her a scratch behind the ears!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you ever go missing, the first place we'll check is the dog house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, sounds like a thaw is headed your way. It always seems to go just the opposite of what the forecasters say.

    Amy is doll!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is that a picture of your home, Alan? It's so lovely even if blanketed in snow. My better half showed me a satellite picture of Britain yesterday -- it was ALL WHITE! Here's hoping you have some weather relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry Alan. Duplicate comments. Having a terrible time with my computer. (Hope to replace it soon before I tear all my hair out!)

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...