Thursday, January 07, 2010

Theme Thursday : Polka Dots And Moonbeams



Do you remember the first record you really knew. Not necessarily the first record you remembered (I half remember a pile of dusty 78s my parents owned) nor the first record you bought (that had to wait until I had money). But the first record I really knew - knew so well that all the tracks were engraved into my subconscious like grooves in polymer - was one of my brothers' LPs. It was called Buddy Greco at Mr Kelly's and it was a recording of a live performance by the great lounge and jazz singer at Mr Kelly's Club in Chicago. After all these years I could still probably sing all the words of all the songs from the moment when Greco says "Welcome To Mr Kelly's" right through to the last verse of the last song ("Give Me The Simple Life", I seem to recall). It is part of my musical heritage and that means track four of side one (younger readers please note, records used to have sides) is part of my lyrical bedrock. Track 4 on side 1 was Jimmy Van Heusen's song, "Polka Dots And Moonbeams".

It's an odd little song, not your usual love, dove, moon, June affair. It conjures up all sorts of odd images. A country dance for some strange reason is being held in a garden! The singers' beloved is described as "a pug-nosed dream" (the song was written in 1940 in the days before nose-jobs existed). But it is a charming simple song which has the power to transport me back 50 years. As soon as I saw the theme for this Thursday I was mentally playing the song in my mind, listening to Buddy Greco's smooth tones. The lyrics are as follows - if you know the tune you can sing along.

POLKA DOTS AND MOONBEAMS (Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke)
A country dance was being held in a garden
I felt a bump and heard an "Oh, beg your pardon"
Suddenly I saw polka dots and moonbeams
All around a pug-nosed dream


The music started and was I the perplexed one
I held my breath and said "May I have the next one?"
In my frightened arms, polka dots and moonbeams
Sparkled on a pug-nosed dream


There were questions in the eyes of other dancers
As we floated over the floor
There were questions but my heart knew all the answers
And perhaps a few things more


Now in a cottage built of lilacs and laughter
I know the meaning of the words "Ever after"
And I'll always see polka dots and moonbeams
When I kiss the pug-nosed dream.

I tried to find a YouTube video of Greco singing the song but I couldn't. There were several YouTube recordings of the song but none of them came within a mile of Greco's way with the words. So instead, I will leave you with a video of another Greco song, one which featured on that same Mr Kelly's LP. It is perhaps his most famous recording and it is "The Lady Is A Tramp". The video is of historical importance as it is a Scopitone movie (Scopitone was a very early form of video juke box which made use of 16mm film) and therefore represents an early antecedent of modern day music videos.



See how other Bloggers faced up to the Theme Thursday Polka Dot challenge by visiting the Theme Thursday site.

38 comments:

  1. You know what, Alan? I always feel good after visiting your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that Angel, I feel exactly the same about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll have to admit, "Buddy Greco at Mr Kelly's" isn't an album that I really knew! But wow, it's cover is way cool! Fun polka dotty post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he loved her cute little nose! :) What a cute little polka dot memory you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan, so so so interesting. I jsut had to go check out some of the other versions of this song which befroe today had never heard of. Waht a delightful song though. I love those old masters. Brilliant. Love your post here and funny the first that came to mind was a song, me too but from about 40 years later afraid to say. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan, that song is mentioned here too:

    http://www.lifewithacocktail.blogspot.com/

    Who would ahve thunk it? Even John Denver id it? Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:15 AM

    Alan, too good mate! I've a version of this posted( alas not a live audience one, but still ). Or am I dating meself? 'Tis still a popular tune, it is and a great theme taker ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice. i dont think i hav ever hard the song though the lyrics are fun. nicely done on the theme today alan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! You made me think of my own album, The Beatles White album. I remember running away from my brother (whose album it was) and locking myself in my bedroom so he couldn't get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess mine must be Deep Purple in Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buddy Holly. "Not Fade Away".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, dove, moon, June affair? Gosh, I don't think I have ever listened to one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this song but it's by Oscar Peterson on my CD. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always liked that song...the Sinatra version in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Buddy Greco! Enjoyed the video even it it wasn't Polka Dots and Moonbeams.
    I am always a SUCKER for the ole "usual love, dove, moon, June affair!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that we both came up with the same song! I tried to find Polka Dots and Moonbeams sung by Frank Sinatra but couldn't. Turns out the song is a jazz standard so it's mostly done now as an instrumental.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alan,

    This song is wonderful! I love the visions it conjures up. Thank you for sharing this.

    Happy Thursday,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fascinating! Really. I love (to me) old music. I think the 40s had some of the best.

    Happy TT and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. polka dots and moonbeams probably hasn't been listened to as much as today in years and years....

    personally I think the john denver version leaves much to be desired!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous5:36 PM

    I really like these lines...
    Now in a cottage built of lilacs and laughter
    I know the meaning of the words "Ever after".
    How sweet!
    I can't remember the first song I knew by heart, but I'm with Tina on the Beatles White album. My sisters & I listened to it so much I knew every song.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Alan, that was lovely. Hadn't heard of that song - and the images the words conjure are very different! Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:03 PM

    I wonder if her nose was cold and wet...Heehee!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. whoa, a retro music video! That guy is smooooth, and the ladys are va va va vooooom!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alan, first I have to agree with AngelMay. Visiting your blog always improves my day. The only thing better is when you visit mine and leave a comment as nice as the one I found today.

    As to your polka dot song. Afraid that I do not remember it. But, Greco;s "Lady is a Tramp" has always been on of my favorites.

    While visiting your blog today I got sidetracked when I noticed that you follow a blog from a man in my home town of St. Charles, Mo. so I had to go check it out. I grew up in a small town in St. Charles county and lived in a rooming house in town for several years after getting out of school. Boy, what a small world. Visit a blog in the UK to be taken back to your own home town.

    Thanks for the pick me up today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great post....thank you for brightening my day! ! !~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess my first 'memory' of music in our house was Frank Sinatra singing Lady is a Tramp and of course the Beatles. I'd never heard the Moonbeam song until TT posts this week. Then my first album was Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick (haha says something about me!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. very nice; this polka dot theme as produced such a variety of postings. and interesting twist to think of the first record you really knew as opposed to remembered. Gosh. that would have to be Simon and Garfunkel Bookends. Argh. I'm ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. First record I ever knew... probably a cassette tape, but I'm at a loss to recall what it would be.

    I'll get back to you on this one.

    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Were there remakes of that song?? I think that I have recently heard that title.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do remember my mom playing quite a bit of Sonny and Cher and dad liking some tunes by Roy Orbison. And of course, Elvis.

    Music becomes such a important part of us. It is the soundtrack of our lives - what were we doing at a particular point in time is always easily remembered when thought of in terms of music.

    Happy Theme Thursday. But, I must ask...how do you keep up with all of your blogs?!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The first record that I remember is Ricky Nelson's single LP titled "Travelin' Man". I can still hear that song clear as a whistle in my head and love it.

    Great TT post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That truly is a great old tune! A natural for the theme, too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think the first album I can remember is one of the Beach Boys and I still love their songs to this day.

    That sounds like it was a great little song, but I cannot remember ever hearing it before.

    Thanks for sharing the video.

    Happy TT and Happy New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a memory you have, Alan! What a fun song too. I guess the first song I really knew was, "Moon River" because it was popular when I was very little. My parent's liked the song and it was played on the radio in our home. I tried to sing it, but the second verse always came out a bit like this:

    "Two dwiftuhs, off to see da wud" and so on. I was a little Elmer Fudd as a tot, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  35. He Swings.Pure Gold!
    By the way Alan, I will be posting a "Sepia Saturday" late tonight (Friday) or early Saturday.
    Also, did you hear Alistar Graham being interviewed on BBC 5-Live this afternoon?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Are you doing Sepia Saturday, Alan? If so, do count me IN. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I vaguely recall Buddy Greco, but Scopitone? Never heard that term. And I loved your line "younger readers please note, records used to have sides." Good one all around, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Never heard of that song till I Googled polka dots. I had heard of Buddy Greco thought. He has a wonderful voice.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...