Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sepia Saturday 205 : Tache And Book


Our Sepia Saturday theme image this week features a rather splendid gentleman sporting a rather splendid moustache. I suppose I could easily match it with any photograph of myself taken over the last 45 years or so, but my long standing moustache may be familiar and it may be comforting, but few would describe it as splendid.So I am turning to an anonymous Cabinet Card which comes from a Victorian album I bought at an Antique Centre last year, I have no idea who the subject of the photograph is, but the photographers' studio is local and therefore this particular gent might have been walking down any street in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Halifax or Barnsley a hundred and twenty-five years ago. I know little about Eddison Ltd - the photographer - but their Halifax address is listed as being 4, Silver Street, Halifax. Silver Street still exists but the photographer is long gone.

Let me finish with a quick note about "The Best Of Sepia Saturday", the book which contains all the contributions to Sepia Saturday 200. As you can see, the proof copy has now arrived and there are just a few final revisions to be made (thank you Marilyn for reading through the draft and making some excellent suggestions). Here is a picture of the good lady-wife enjoying a sneak preview of what is destined to become one of the publishing events of the decade. Hopefully I will be able to officially announce the details of how you can obtain your copy early next week.

Until the book is published, you can get your ration of sepia goodies by going to the Sepia Saturday Blog and following all the links.





10 comments:

  1. The next Booker short-list is on hold at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Think I Shall Use My Fake Moustache as A Bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rather splendid-looking moustache indeed! Looking forward to the book's official arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A marvellous moustache, and very thoughtful looking eyes on this young man. He looks like a gentle soul; I wonder who he was. Thanks for sharing his image.

    Cheers,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the interesting things about these old pics of men with moustaches is that they are often so very young. that bloke must be in his twenties, but nobody of that age would grow a tache like that now, would they!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he looks like he might be avoiding capture for a murder. or maybe I've been listening to too many detective shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it interesting that there must have been a particular style for these photos that was dictated by the equipment they had. I always enjoy the sepias.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan, I think you forgot to add this post to the Linky thing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe he's one of my long lost ancestors - some came from that part of the world - emigrating to Australia in the mid 1800s.
    Looking forward to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea to get the GLW modelling the book. That will increase the sales no end.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...